Thursday 10 June 2010

Still On A Roll

Went to Newlands AC again for two nights, Tuesday and Wednesday

Got there about 06.30 and it was pouring with rain. I still went for a walk around the lake though. I saw 3 other people bivvied up but all them were tucked up in their doss bags!!!

As you might know, I like to fish on the point. But honestly, I walked around the lake in the pouring rain and the only place I saw fish moving? You guessed it- the point. This time it was the Left Hand swim. There was somebody already in the Right Hand swim but I didn't get to see who it was. He left in between the downpours!

As I have already stated, the weather was atrocious. I managed to get my bivvy up in a slight drizzle. The inside didnt get too wet. By 08.0 my bivvy was up and the kettle was on. The rods weren't out yet, I was waiting for a break in the weather. By 08.30 my chance came. I whipped out the rods, banksticks, landing net and unhooking mat and by 08.50 I   was fishing. When I eventually got the chance I got the other gear into the bivvy as I like my luxuries.

Nothing happened all day except it rained and rained and then rained harder still!. It was like staying in a drum. The weather was that bad at times, I couldn't hear myself think and had to get out and have a walk around. Then at around 16.30 I had a run.

I lifted into it and knew at once that it wasnt a carp. It fought for the first 10-15 seconds and then gave up. It turned out to be a 4lb tench. Back out went the rod and I settled down to watch a movie.
 I went to sleep around 23.00 and before 05.00 I got rudely awakened by my bite alarm screeching in my ear. I shot out and sure enough I had a carp on. It fought hard all the way in, kiting left and right, diving deep and generally making it difficult for me to get him in. I eventually land him and that's when I noticed that I had left the scales out after weighing the tench.

Damn and blast (or words to that effect!)

I went to use them and found that the damn things weren't waterproof. What bloody use are weighing scales if they are not waterproof. Do the manufacturers think we only catch carp in the dry weather?

 16lb+ - Guesstimate

Anyway, I had to guesstimate the weight. It wasn't less than 14lbs or more than 18lbs so I took the middle and called it 16lb+.

Later in the day, Vic rang me and asked if I wanted anything from the shops. I asked if he could get me a new 9v battery but it was a long shot as I was positve that the damn innards had got wet in the rain. Vic duly turned up with the battery but as I thought, it still said err01. So I hung the things out to dry, now that the weather was more appealing. The sun was particularly hot out of the wind and cloud. To cut a long story short, it worked and my electronic scales are now working again. It took a few hours though.

A few hours later, I had another run and this time another tench was netted. This was bigger than the first but my scales weren't working at this time. Guess it to be around 5-6lb

There were plenty of fish to see on the surface so I decided to give zig rigs a try. I normally get tangled using these so I wasn't too confident. I rigged up an adjustable rig and cast it out. It seemed to cast out OK, so the wait was on.
By this time, Vic was also trying out the zig rig. He was using a 3ft fixed length hooklink. Suddenly Vics bottom rig screams out and he's into a decent fish. He lifts into it and the rod immediately takes up the battle curve. Its kiting right and Vic is trying his hardest to stop it but unfortunately , mr carp makes it. I run round to see if there is anything I can do and find that the line is stretched across the concrete slab in the RH swim. I use my hands to pull the line but dont feel any resistance.

The carp is gone

Never mind, Vic has felt what it is like to get a double figure carp on the end of his line and that's another step further in his carping career. Vic packs up at 22.30 and I watch another movie. I go to seep about 00.30 and wake at around 08.30. No action during the night even though conditions looked perfect. I hung on until around 12.00 then packed up and went home to a nice bath!

No comments:

Post a Comment