Sunday 20 January 2013

January session Thorney Weir

January 9th and a much awaited trip to Thorney Weir. Arrived at the lake late on Thursday morning with the water seemingly well up on normal levels. Indeed, some swims were unfishable so I decided on a swim on the road bank with plenty of water to fish. All set up and ready to go, I'd fished this swim before so I cast to areas I  had caught fish from in the summer. I was fishing maggot on one rod, a snowman on my second rod  and a pop up on the third, so all options covered.
Well sort of !!.
I had brought one of my converted baitboats to test and the first two rods were boated out with the help of the internally fitted fishfinder onto clearish areas, there was still large areas of weed about.
All rods out and everything set up so time to relax. There were very few people about so all was quiet. I had not seen any action out  in front but I was looking all the time. One or two more people arrived and I had a chat to those that stopped to ask the usual stuff.  I didnt have a lot to offer them just told them about a few of the swiims that were still available. Unbeknown to me there had been an article about the lake in one of the carp mags, hence the new people coming round.

       Friday  morning came with nothing coming to my rods. I was leaving them out most of the day only renewing the areas with  bait   in  the morning. Having said  that, the rod  with the popup was changed about a bit to find a spot - or not as it happened. The lake seemed to shut down, no surprise really I suppose,  just very changeable weather always seems to confuse the carp as well as us anglers, it has to be said !
       Saturday came round and a few more anglers turned up. I spoke to a couple of the bailiffs that I had got to know and was informed that a few changes were being made to the lakes which unfortunately involve a big hike in sindicate price - £270.00 to £450.00 per year, obviously the recession hasn't hit this part of Uxbridge yet !! Oh well we shall see,  still a cheap day ticket though so all is not lost.



          Russell and Tim came round to see me sunday morning  ( two mates that introduced me to French carp fishing bless em )so we spent the morning chatting and then the boys looked round the lakes and I packed away in all a typical winter session. Lots of promise but no action, still a few more sessions to get an elusive  winter carp

No comments:

Post a Comment