Monday 29 April 2013

Out on the bank again

Well, I went to the speccy lake a few weeks ago (11 Apr) and set up in.......yep, the LH point swim! Vic was set up in the middle swim and things looked ideal.

The weather had been cold the previous few weeks but it was supposed to be changing to warmer times. Just what we needed. I marked out a spot and spodded out a few spods of particles and boilies. While I was spodding out, I noticed that my marker float had disappeared from view.  Thinking that a clump of weed or twig had caught the float I continued to cast out a couple more spods of bait over the area. As I went to reel in the marker float I saw that the line was moving! How strange. As I continued to reel in it became apparent that something alive and extremely angry was on the end of my line!! I managed to get my gear into the margin and discovered that a pike of around 8-10lb was attached to the line. It must have been chasing a fish for dinner when it came into contact with my marker line. I managed give the rod a few shakes, undo a couple of twists until finally the pike fell off the line and back into the lake. Whew, maybe thats a good sign!!
Anyway, I put both rods over the mix and waited.

All through the day I had a few knocks and liners and an aborted take (or a run I missed!!!). I tried changing baits, casting shorter, even changing rigs but to no avail.

Vic packed up around 7 pm and I settled down in my bivvy. I had an undisturbed night, with nothing to show for my efforts. On reeling in my baits in the morning, however, I discovered that my LH rod was missing its pop up and the RH rod had been nibbled down to hardly anything - and that was a chod rig with a piece of foam that had very little foam left and hardly any pop up! Bloody crayfish again. Think I'll stick to solid plastic baits from now on, at least I'll know there will still be a bait on in the morning.

I packed up at around 13.00 and went home fishless



John

No comments:

Post a Comment